Monday 30 March 2015

An Easter Treat.... A Baby Bunny Romper suit anyone?

Hi all,

I am back today with a little Easter treat for you, a Vintage inspired knitted baby romper of the bunny variety!

As I have mentioned before I love knitting, but I am not the quickest of knitters and most of the time just enjoy having a small project for the evenings to keep me busy. I usually try and knit with a purpose but on the odd occasion I like to knit things for little people, and while I don't have any of those of my own right now, or know too many people that do I usually figure that if I knit something up, it will hopefully never go to waste.

A little while ago I knit up a vintage style romper, (you can read more about it here) and well I fell in love! I adored the style and knew I would need to knit more, they are so quick and easy that it doesn't even take ME more than a couple of evenings to knit up, and maybe another night for the final sew up.

My first romper was in a neutral tone of grey with thoughts in mind that were it ever to be gifted it was gender neutral, but ever since I finished my first romper I wanted to make another.

I have had some fuchsia pink yarn stashed away for a little while and I figured it would be perfect for another romper and would let me have a little more fun with a theme.

So here we have it...

My knitted Bunny Romper suit.

 
I used a pattern by The Daily Knitter called Lesley which is a lovely pattern and is really simple and quick to knit up.
 
 

 
I initially started with just the plain old romper, but I just couldn't resist adding one last touch.....
 
 
A little Bunny tail... I mean this isn't usually my thing, I don't go for overly cute baby things, I totally blame these buttons for my decisions.
 
 
I bought these wooden buttons on a birthday fabric shopping trip to Grace and Favour and, well things just went hopping out of control from there. ( I mean, I bought smiling cute bunny button faces, huh, so unlike me, but I challenge you to resist these guys in person)
 
Here is a final shot of the Bunny tail which is a small pom pom made from acrylic yarn which is pale pink with blue and fuchsia flecks in it, I made it kind of large to begin with, so I clipped it down a lot (which I have to say was immense fun, who knew) so it is now a super dense pom pom tail and I loooove it!
 
 
I fairly loosely followed the pattern this time around as my yarn didn't swatch the same, so I decided to go by measurements, I also changed the depth of both the rib on the waist band and the leg cuffs to be slightly deeper than the pattern called for. 
 
The other main change for this romper was I deciding to use a moss stitch for the bib edging, last time I did a rib stitch and I just wasn't happy with the finish and I thought it looked kind of scruffy so I was keen to find something that would give me a cleaner look. I decided on moss stitch and I think I am fairly happy, although I think next time round I would drop my needle size my a half to give a firmer finish with a slightly less open look.
 
I think I am hooked on knitting these little rompers, they are so much fun to knit up and I think they would make a lovely gift for a new baby. I am currently resisting the urge to knit a nautical inspired version in a navy and white cotton yarn I have.....
 
Thanks for stopping by, I would love to hear any thoughts you have on my knitting projects. 
 
What small projects do you like to knit? 
Is there a project you like to knit repeatedly, or have a favourite pattern?
It would be great to hear all about it!
 
~HJF~ 
 
 


 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram