Saturday 7 February 2015

Motivational Banner

Today I would like to share with you a project I have been working on for a couple of weeks.

I haven't done much embroidery in my time, I have done a lot of free machine embroidery, but not much by hand. I think it such a skill and something I have admired for some time, but, alas, I am really not very patient. My mum and grandma have made a wonderful variety of embroidered tablecloths with a fantastic array of delicate stitches on them, that really are beautiful. 

For my first real piece I decided to keep it simple, with a back stitch. 

Here it is, finally finished. My motivational banner.....

I would just like to say this project was a little out of my comfort zone, I am not usually very fond of using "quotes" but I really like this one. I know quotes and slogans are very in right now, but I don't think it is something I will be indulging in too often. 

I typed up my quote, printed it and transferred it to calico using my lightbox.





I then used my watercolours to create a background so my banner wouldn't seem to plain. In hindsight I think using a patterned fabric might have been a better idea, but I will learn.



(Would you just look at those pom poms!!!! They are easily my most favourite part of this project)

After I had stitched my design i marked my banner and cut it to size. I stitched my pom pom trim into place and I then cut a back piece from some mint linen, this would enable me to 'bag out' my banner.



After I had finished my machine sewing to neaten all of my raw edges I hand stitched the top edge down to create a channel for my dowel to go through. (My dad helped me cut, shape and drill the dowel....it was too cold in the garage for me today ;)


I threaded a few lengths of grey thread through the dowel to give my banner something to hang from and I was done!



I really love the overall look of my banner, I am still slightly unsure about my use of a quote, but maybe if I let it hang a while I will get over it.

On another note, I ironed my fabric pre embroidery and after embroidery - twice! And would you just look, the creases are worse since I finished my embroidery, I was hopeful they may drop out while hanging, but now I am not so sure. I think I will have to live with it. 

Thanks for popping in, if you have any thoughts on the fabric banner trend or use of quotes I would love to hear them. 

~HJF~







No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram