Sunday 1 February 2015

Yoga bag prototype

Hi all, today I wanted to share with you my new yoga bag design.

I recently started going to a yoga class and I thought I only needed to take my mat with me, turns out you need a few bits of kit if you don't want to borrow from the studio. This led me to need a new kit bag, I just didn't have anything big enough to hold all my gear.

I wanted to design something simple, that was lightweight, but that had a place for everything.

I started sketching out my design and got onto drafting the pattern.
 And here it is, it is my first attempt, so there are a couple of things I would do differently next time. 
I bought my fabric after I decided to make my bag, I got it from a printing company that sells fabrics with slight faults on the rolls, but i got lucky and mine is fault free! 
(After I bought this fabric, I showed it to Mr.F and asked him if he liked it, he said hmm well, it's very yoga isn't it, ha ha! ) Good to know my fabric choice is on point. 

The bag comprises of ;
one main compartment with an outside zipper pocket, 
two elasticated pockets,
And one square pocket.

My bag is fully lined, with grey cotton and the exterior is a aubergine printed linen mix.
I don't carry a lot of things with me to yoga, so It didn't need to be an over complicated make.
The main body of my bag holds two foam blocks and my mat, but there is room to spare for a towel, extra jumper etc. There are two elasticated pleated pockets, on one side which hold my water bottle and strap. The other end has one square pocket to hold my foam brick.
There is an outer zipper pocket that has just enough room for my phone keys, etc. 

I am pretty happy with my bag, but I need to improve my pleated pockets, mainly just tighten the elastic slightly. 

I would love to hear if you guys make your own kit bags, and if you use any specific pattern? Do you draft your own?

Do you all think there is a market for yoga bag sewing patterns? I would love to hear your thoughts!

That's all for now. 

~HJF~ 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram