Sunday 15 February 2015

Simple Paisley scarf


At Christmas Mr. F asked for a vintage men's scarf, you know the ones, paisley printed silk one side, cosy complimentary coloured wool the other. I would call it a men's dress scarf but who knows the real name?! Well he asked for this about a week or two before christmas, and I searched but couldn't find one anywhere, and without time to venture to manchester to wade through the wild array of vintage shops there I decided to give up...... For now.

After my bow tie making marathon before christmas I realised I had quite a few sections of some lovely quilting cottons left over. So I felt a quick project was in order. I realised I had some rather lovely paisley cotton left over that was just big enough to make a scarf with. So I rummaged though my remnant box and found a piece of lovely camel coloured wool mix twill that was an incredibly good match! 

It may not be the vintage one he asked for, but he is happy all the same.





This was a super simple project that probably took half an hour in total with cutting, sewing and pressing. Okay, okay, well maybe a little longer if you include hand sewing the lining shut. 



There you see the lovely warm lining. This scarf was four pieces cut, joined and then, "bagged out". Then a quick trim of the corners, turn the right side out, press and finish with a little hand stitching.

I debated whether to top stitch the whole way round the scarf but I thought that might make it look a little clumsy. 


The fabric is a really lovely quality quilting cotton that I got from Minerva Crafts, unfortunately i don't have a brand or name for it, and there was no selvedge on my piece.




And here he is modelling the scarf. I am sure he really loved modelling this for me.... Ha ha. 

Thanks for popping by, and as ever I would love to hear your thoughts on any of my projects. 

~HJF~ 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram